1 tbsp coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
1 3/4 cups water
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp ginger, chopped finely (or 1 tsp dry ginger)
1 pinch ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
Plain non-fat Greek-style yoghurt
- In a large saucepan heat the oil then toss in the onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, water, sweet potato, carrot, ginger and nutmeg. Bring to a boil then turn to low and simmer until vegetables are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Carefully with a ladle add the soup to a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth, adding a bit more water or stock if needed. (If you're using a standard blender, allow the mixture to cool first; hot liquid may cause the blender to splash out contents. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your appliance.)
- Put the soup back into the saucepan, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a small spoonful of yoghurt on top, if desired.